Description: FISHBIO, a fisheries research and monitoring company, is seeking an experienced Fisheries Biologist/Quantitative Ecologist for our offices in Chico or Oakdale, CA. This position will assist with study design, analyses, and reports related to ongoing fisheries research and regulatory consulting. Applicants should possess an advanced degree in Fisheries, Wildlife, or a related discipline, with a strong quantitative emphasis; or an advanced degree in Statistics with a strong biological emphasis. Knowledge and experience in population dynamics, stock assessments, and statistical analysis are required. A strong work ethic, excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to work independently and as part of a research team, and good interpersonal skills are all necessary. Writing skills are integral to daily activities, and experience publishing scientific manuscripts is preferred. Ideal candidates should be detail-oriented, self-motivated, and be comfortable in a fast-paced and rapidly changing work environment.
Desired skills and experience:
- Experience with a wide variety of statistical analyses related to: population dynamics, stock assessment, population abundance estimation, and/or mark-recapture techniques.
- Strong writing skills that include the ability to write technical reports or client memos focused towards non-technical audiences.
- Experience in regulatory processes is highly desired. Understanding of NEPA/CEQA, FERC, biological assessments, and/or working knowledge of water and endangered species policies in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta and California Central Valley.
- Knowledge of impacts on fisheries and aquatic ecosystems, including research into, policy analysis for, or management of such impacts.
- Experience with experimental design.
- Knowledge of Central Valley Chinook salmon population dynamics, harvest, policy, and management.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Access, and other statistical software such as R.
- The ability to effectively communicate with a wide variety of audiences, including field crews, project staff, clients, and the public.
To apply: please send current CV and two writing samples that relate to the requirements of this position to email@example.com