The Hatchery Technician cares for fish and performs grounds and equipment maintenance and other duties on a fish hatchery. Major duties and responsibilities are to:
• Pond, feed, grade, and collect eggs from wild and hatchery fish; shock, pick, and enumerate eggs; regulate water supplies; remove mortality; and recognize and treat fish diseases.
• Record and maintain information on amount and type of feed received and fed, water quality, fish mortalities, and liberations and maintain gas, oil, and mileage records.
• Weigh, count, and load fish and eggs for transfer and liberation; operate liberation trucks; and distribute fish.
• Maintain, construct, and perform minor repairs to ponds and walkways, fish feeders, egg trays, and screens.
• Maintain lawns, shrubs, and trees.
• Maintain and repair hatchery buildings and residences, fish pumps, lawn mowers, power tools, roads, and trails.
• Meet the public, maintain public relations, answer questions, and conduct hatchery tours.