This position supports primarily activities associated with the USM’s Monitoring Program of the Commercial Shrimp Trawl Fishery in Mississippi waters, which is part of the project entitled “Mississippi Marine Mammal and Turtle Conservation, Recovery, and Monitoring Program” funded by the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation (NFWF), Gulf Environmental Benefit Fund (GEBF) through the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ). The main goal of the Monitoring Program is to establish a collaborative, voluntary program with commercial shrimp fishermen operating in Mississippi state waters with an emphasis on understanding interactions of marine mammals and sea turtles with shrimp vessels. The selected applicant will work closely with captains and crews from shrimp vessels and with biologists from the USM’s Gulf Coast Research Laboratory in Ocean Springs, Mississippi.
Minimum Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
A BS degree in marine biology, ecology, fisheries, or a related field with one year of professional work experience, or a MS degree.
- Research experience.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Good to excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access).
- Good to excellent statistical and computer skills.
- Good to excellent verbal communication and writing competencies in English.
- Good to excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to spend on average 2-3 days at sea multiple times a week. Must be able to work at sea in strenuous conditions (e.g., handle heavy lifting, working long hours in rough seas and irregular schedules) and maintain diplomacy and professionalism in challenging environments.
- Valid driver’s license required.
The following documentation will be required:
- A cover letter describing how you meet the qualifications and competencies of this position (generic cover letter will not be accepted)
- A current resume (maximum 2 pages)
- Academic transcript(s) (unofficial acceptable)
- Three professional references (including name, title, affiliation, phone number and e-mail address. Note that personal references do not count as professional)
To apply complete the online application at: https://usm.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=559&site=1
Application closing date: Open until filled (Review of applications begin on January 7, 2019)