Description: The Aquatic Ecology and Fisheries Laboratory at the University of Wisconsin – Green Bay is seeking to hire two motivated research technicians on a limited term basis. The primary role of this position is to assist with graduate student research and long-term monitoring projects located around Green Bay, Lake Michigan.
1) operation and trailering of outboard boats;
2) backpack electrofishing in small streams;
3) passive and active drift netting for larval Lake Sturgeon and acoustic tracking Lake Sturgeon;
4) assisting in supervision of undergraduate technicians;
5) conducting aquatic invasive species surveys and processing samples;
6) data entry and organization.
This position requires working nights, weekends and holidays. Heavy lifting and physically demanding work is required. Fisheries technicians must be willing to work outdoors in inclement weather aboard work skiffs in rivers and near-shore areas. Schedule will be variable depending on sampling season Term will last generally from May 1st, 2021 until October 31st, 2021.
Qualifications: Candidates must possess a completed B.S. degree in aquatic ecology, fisheries ecology or related field. An earned M.S. in related filed or a minimum of 6 months’ work experience post the B.S. is desirable. Experience operating and trailering boats in riverine and open water conditions is also helpful. Applicants will be expected to operate state vehicles and must have a clean driving record. Strong communication skills and the ability to work both in a team and independently will be necessary
Application Deadline: February 28, 2021