FISHBIO provides fish rescue assistance to retrieve fishes that have become stranded due to water operations, construction projects, infrastructure repair and maintenance, or restoration projects. Fish rescues can employ various methods, such as electrofishing, seine netting, or hand netting, depending on the conditions of each incident. FISHBIO recognizes the hazards of construction sites and always makes safety a priority. Our staff are experienced and well-trained in fish capture methods and always follow strict fish handling protocol. We develop recue plans to meet client needs and successfully capture and release recovered fish in good condition. We have conducted fish rescues during flashboard dam installation and removal, fish passage improvement projects, irrigation operations, stream channel restoration, and dam repairs. Our staff have navigated a variety of challenging fish rescue conditions, including thick mud and confined spaces.
Example Projects and Blog Posts
- Tuolumne River Canal (Modesto Irrigation District) – Subterranean fish rescue
- Humboldt Bay Power Plant Decommissioning (Tehema Environmental Solutions and Chicago Bridge & Iron) – Humboldt Bay Power Plant fish rescue
- Calaveras River Mormon Slough (Stockton East Water District) – No fish left behind
- Sacramento River Water Diversion (Woodland-Davis Clean Water Agency) – Hard hat zone
- Redd Bluff Fish Passage Improvement Project (Tehema-Colusa Canal Authority)