Thursday April 25, 2024

San Jose Mercury News

Those who enjoy fishing and who seek trout and salmon in particular were reminded Wednesday by California Department of Fish & Wildlife officials that they should keep their dogs away from the uncooked fish.

A parasitic flatworm called Nanophyetes salmincola can be transmitted to canines that eat the two types of fish before they’re cooked, creating a bacteria-like organism in their body and a condition called salmon poisoning disease, officials said in a news release.

The parasite is seen only in dogs; the disease is potentially fatal but is treatable, experts say.

Signs of the disease in a dog include a rise in body temperature, a loss of appetite, listlessness, diarrhea and vomiting. Rapid weight loss may also occur.

Read more >

Link copied successfully